The Palmetto State
- State Site: Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina
- Capital City:
- Capitol: State House Info & Tour
- Postal: SC
- Traditional: S.C.
- Admission to Union:
- Ancestry / Genealogy:
- Apartments: South Carolina Apartments
- Area Codes: South Carolina Area Codes
- Biographies: Notable South Carolinians
- Birth Records: Birth Certificates
- Border States:
- Citizens: South Carolina Citizens
- Climate: Climatology For South Carolina
- Constitution: South Carolina Constitution, 8th state to enter the Union.
- County Profile: South Carolina Counties
- Courts: South Carolina Judicial Department
- Current Events: South Carolina News
- Death Records: Death Certificates
- Department of: State Agencies and Boards
- Driving: Driver Information
- Agriculture: More than half of South Carolina's agricultural income is produced
by livestock and livestock products (Broilers (5-12 week-old chickens), eggs, turkeys, beef cattle, hogs).
Broilers are the most valuable. Crops provide the remaining agricultural income. The most important
crop in South Carolina is tobacco. Greenhouse and nursery product (shrubs, flowers, young plants) rank
behind tobacco. Cotton, soybeans and corn are other valuable crops in the state. Farmers also raise
a variety of vegetables, fruits and nuts.
[Find out more]
- Manufacturing: In manufacturing, chemicals are most important in the state and
South Carolina produces synthetic fibers, plastic resins, dyes and pharmaceuticals. Textile production
(acrylic, cotton, polyester, silk, wool fabrics - plastic and glass fiber yarns - rayon and nylon tire
cord - clothing and other finished textile products)is the second-ranking manufacturing activity.
Forest products such as wood, pulp and paper products (paper, paperboard) rank third.
- Services: Wholesale and retail trade rank first among South Carolina's service
industries, benefiting from the state's year-round tourism industry. Wholesale trade in South Carolina
revolves around automobiles, groceries and textiles. Retail trade benefits from sales made in food stores,
discount stores and restaurants. Ranking second in the state is the community, business and personal
services sector, again benefiting from the state's tourism industry. A variety of services contribute
to this group. Important are private health care, engineering firms, hotels and repair shops. Government
services (public schools and hospitals, several military bases)rank third in South Carolina.
- Mining: Granite and limestone are two of South Carolina's most valuable mined
products. Gold is also mined in the state. South Carolina is a leading state in the production of
kaolin, mica, and vermiculite.
- Fishing: The most important catch for South Carolina is shrimp. The state also
brings in clams, crabs, oysters and snapper.
- Genealogical Resources:
- Geographic Center: South Carolina Geography
- Highest Point: Sassafras Mountain, 3,560 feet above sea level.
- Highway Markers: South Carolina
- Judiciary: South Carolina Judicial Department
- Largest Cities: 10 Largest Cities
- Legislature: South Carolina Legislature
- Library: South Carolina State Library
|South Carolina License Plate|
- License Plates: South Carolina
- Lottery: South Carolina Lottery
- Lowest Point: Atlantic Ocean, sea level.
- Maps: South Carolina Maps
- Marriage: South Carolina Marriage Certificates
- Motor Vehicles: Department of Motor Vehicles
- Museums: South Carolina Museums
- National Forests:
- National Parks: National Parks in South Carolina
- Natural Resources: Natural resources of South Carolina include rich soils, minerals (kaolin clay,
limestone, peat and sand and gravel, gold, granite, mica, sand, talc, topaz, vermiculite), vast forests
(loblolly, pines, oaks, hickories, dogwoods, red maples, slash and longleaf pines, oaks, hickories,
magnolias, bay trees, baldcypresses, black tupelos, sweet gums, tulip trees, hemlocks, palmettos), and a
plentiful water supply.
- Newspapers: South Carolina
- Nickname: for South Carolina
- Non-transients: Find A Grave
- Online Services: South Carolina Online Services
- Origin of State's name: South Carolina
- Political Cartoons: PoliticalCartoons.com
- Road Side America: South Carolina
- Senior Citizens: South Carolina Bureau of Senior Services
- State Parks: South Carolina State Parks
- State Quarter: South Carolina
- Storage: Columbia self storage unit
- Symbols: South Carolina Symbols
- Tax Forms:
- Topography: State Topography Image: South Carolina
- Unclaimed Funds: Unclaimed Property
- Veteran Affairs: Department of Veterans Affairs
- Vital Records: South Carolina Vital Records Services
- Voting: South Carolina State Election Commission
- Web Cams: South Carolina Webcams
- Zip Codes: