The following information was excerpted from the The Pennsylvania Statutes, Title 37, Chapter 7, Section 705.
Title 37 Pa.C.S.A. Historical and Museums
Chapter 7. Historic Properties
§ 705. United States Brig Niagara
(a) Official flagship of Pennsylvania.--The restored United States Brig Niagara shall be the official flagship of Pennsylvania. It shall be known as the "Flagship of Pennsylvania" and its home port shall be Erie, Pennsylvania.
(b) Powers and duties of the commission.--The commission shall have the power and duty to:
(1) Cooperate with the Department of Military Affairs, the United States Navy and other appropriate organizations in commemorating significant events of our naval and maritime heritage.
(2) Sail the United States Brig Niagara, within the means at its command, to various ports of call and commemorative events as the official sailing ambassador for Pennsylvania.
(3) Charge whatever fees are necessary to maintain the vessel and to encourage private financial support as appropriate in order to support the United States Brig Niagara and its sailing program.
(c) Cooperation by public officials with the commission.--Commonwealth agencies and political subdivisions shall cooperate fully with the commission in support of its naval and maritime history program and, to that end, shall:
(1) Include the commission in any planning efforts for the commemoration of significant events of our naval and maritime history.
(2) Develop plans with the commission which will utilize the United States Brig Niagara as the official flagship of Pennsylvania.
1988, May 26, P.L. 414, No. 72, § 1, imd. effective.
37 Pa.C.S.A. § 705, PA ST 37 Pa.C.S.A. § 705
Thomson Reuters: Westlaw The Pennsylvania Statutes, <http://government.westlaw.com/linkedslice/default.asp?SP=pac-1000> (Accessed August 10, 2010)
Shearer, Benjamin F. and Barbara S. State Names, Seals, Flags and Symbols: A Historical Guide Third Edition, Revised and Expanded. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press, 3 Sub edition, 2001.
The Flagship Niagara: Official website of the United States brig Niagara, the official flagship of Pennsylvania.
More symbols & emblems: Complete list of official Pennsylvania state symbols.
Erie Maritime Museum and US Brig Niagara, by Chris J. Magoc. 48ages. Publisher: Stackpole Books; 1st edition (March 2001) Relive the story of the crucial American victory at the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812. Learn about the naval and maritime history of Erie and the reconstruction of Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship, the U.S. Brig Niagara. Includes a virtual tour of the ship and the Erie Maritime Museum.
Wood Niagara Us Brig War Of 1812 Ship Model, by Model Shipways. Historic Scale Wooden Model Ship Kit by Model Shipways Ship Models - Length 36-1/2", Height 24-1/2", Scale 1:64, Intermediate Level, Plank on Bulkhead Wood Hull Construction. Model Shipways' kit is a faithful representation of the reconstructed Niagara at the maritime museum in Erie, PA. Model design is based on research and plans for the 1990 reconstruction, provided by Melbourne Smith of the International Historical Watercraft Society in Annapolis MD. Laser cut basswood parts facilitate plank-on-bulkhead construction.
Individual basswood strips cover the hull, and we provide six filler blocks to make the job easier. True-to-scale Britannia metal, brass and hardwood fittings assure scale accuracy. Eighteen cast metal carronades and two long guns duplicate the armament of the original vessel. Rigging material include over 600 blocks and deadeyes and four diameters of rigging line. Six sheets of detailed plans and 40 page illustrated instruction manual by Ben Lankford clarify every phase of construction.