The Show Me State
- State Site: Official Web Site of the State of Missouri
- Capital City:
- St. Louis, 1820. St. Charles, 1821-1826. Jefferson City, since 1826.
- Jefferson City
- Postal: MO
- Traditional: Mo.
- Admission to Union:
- Ancestry / Genealogy:
- Apartments: Missouri Apartments
- Area Codes: Missouri Area Codes
- Biographies: Notable Missourians
- Birth Records: Birth and Death Records
- Border States:
- Citizens: Missouri Citizens
- Climate: Climatology For Missouri
- Constitution: Missouri Constitution, 24th state to enter the Union.
- County Profile: Missouri Counties
- Courts: The Missouri Judiciary
- Current Events: Missouri News
- Death Records: Birth and Death Records
- Department of: Locate Agencies by Subject
- Driving: Driver Licensing
- Services: The community, business and personal services sector, providing
private health care, hotels, data processing services and professional sports franchises is Missouri's
leading service group. Ranking second is the wholesale (farm products, automobiles, groceries) and retail
(automobile dealerships, department stores, restaurants) trade sector. The finance, insurance and real
estate sector ranks as Missouri's third most important service group. St. Louis and Kansas City are
among the Midwest's leading financial cities.
- Manufacturing: Transportation equipment is, by far, Missouri's leading manufacturing
sector. Products include airplanes, barges, railroad cars, truck and bus bodies and truck trailers.
Missouri is considered a leader in the production of automobiles and trucks. Dairy processing plants
and beer breweries make the food processing sector Missouri's second in the manufacturing industry.
Manufacture of chemicals (fertilizer, insecticide, paint, pharmaceuticals, soap) ranks third.
- Agriculture: Livestock and livestock products are responsible for a little over
1/2 of Missouri's agricultural production. Crops account for the rest. Missouri is a leading state
in the production of beef cattle, hogs and turkeys with beef cattle and hogs providing the bulk of the
income in this sector. Some chickens and sheep are also raised in Missouri. Soybeans, from which oil is
made, are the states most important crop. Corn and grain sorghum, used for livestock feed, are also
important. Other field crops grown in Missouri are cotton, hay and wheat. Missouri's most valuable fruit
crops are apples, peaches, grapes and watermelons. A wide variety of vegetables are grown in the state.
[Find out more]
- Mining: Lead, limestone (cement and crushed stone for roads) and coal are the most
important mined products of the state. Missouri leads the states in the production of lead. Copper,
silver and zinc are also produced by the lead mines.
- Floral Emblem:
- Genealogical Resources:
- Geographic Center: Missouri Geography
- Highest Point: Taum Sauk Mountain, 1,772 feet above sea level.
- Highway Markers: Missouri
- Judiciary: Missouri Judiciary
- Largest Cities: 10 Largest Cities
- Legislature: Missouri General Assembly
- Library: Missouri State Library
|The Show Me State License Plate|
- License Plates: Missouri
- Lottery: Missouri Lottery
- Lowest Point: St. Francis River, 230 feet above sea level.
- Maps: Missouri Maps
- Motor Vehicles: Division of Motor Vehicle and Driver Licensing
- Museums: Missouri Museums
- National Forests:
- National Parks: National Parks in Missouri
- Natural Resources: The important natural resources of Missouri include fertile soils and
large mineral (lead, copper, zinc, barite, limestone, dolomite, granite, marble, sandstone, coal) deposits.
- Newspapers: Missouri
- Nickname: for Missouri
- Non-transients: Find A Grave
- Online Services: Missouri's On-line Services
- Origin of State's name: Missouri
- Political Cartoons: PoliticalCartoons.com
- Road Side America: Missouri
- Senior Citizens: Senior Services
- Song: Missouri Waltz
- State Parks: Missouri State Parks
- State Quarter: Missouri
- Symbols: Missouri Symbols
- Tax Forms:
- Topography: State Topography Image: Missouri
- Arboreal Emblem (Tree): Flowering Dogwood (Cornus Florida)
- Unclaimed Funds: Unclaimed Property
- Veteran Affairs: Missouri Veterans Commission
- Vital Records: Vital Statistics
- Voting: Elections & Voter Information
- Web Cams: Missouri Webcams
- Zip Codes: