The Pine Tree State
- State Site: Official Web Site of the State of Maine
- Capital City:
- Portland, 1820-1832. Augusta, since 1832.
- Postal: ME
- Traditional: Me.
- Admission to Union:
- Ancestry / Genealogy:
- Apartments: Maine Apartments
- Area Codes: Maine Area Codes
- Biographies: Notable Mainers
- Birth Records: Birth Certificate Requests
- Border States:
- Citizens: Maine Citizens
- Climate: Climatology For Maine
- Constitution: Maine Constitution, 23rd state to enter the Union.
- County Profile: Maine Counties
- Courts: State of Maine Judicial Branch
- Current Events: Maine News
- Death Records: Death Certificate Request
- Department of: State Agencies
- Driving: Driver Licenses & State Identification Cards
- Agriculture: Eggs and milk are the leading livestock products in the state, followed
by beef cattle. Other livestock products include chickens, hogs, sheep and turkeys. About half of Maine's
agricultural income comes from crops and potatoes are the biggest crop. Other crops are corn, hay, oats
and other grains to feed cattle. Greenhouse and nursery products, broccoli, dry beans, peas and other
vegetables are also grown. Apples are Maine's most valuable fruit crops, but Maine is also a leading
producer of wild blueberries. Other fruit crops are cranberries, raspberries and strawberries. [Find out more]
- Manufacturing: Leading manufactured products in Maine are paper products, including
cardboard boxes, paper bags and pulp, as well as paper. Ranking second in the manufacturing sector is
computer and electronic equipment (personal computer microchips, communications equipment). Third is
transportation equipment (ship building, repair, some aerospace equipment).
- Services: Community, business, and personal services (private health care, hotels,
law firms, repair shops) is Maine's leading service industry. The wholesale (wholesale paper and pulp)
and retail (automobile dealerships, discount stores, gasoline stations, grocery stores, restaurants)
trade industries and the finance, insurances and real estate industries rank as Maine's second most
important service industry.
- Mining: Sand and gravel and limestone are the base products of Maine's mining
industry. Other mined products clays, garnet, gemstones (amethyst, topaz, tourmaline), granite and peat.
Large copper and zinc deposits have not been fully developed.
- Fishing: Maine's fish and shellfish industry is ranked high among the states.
Its yearly lobster catch is the biggest of any state. Other important products are soft-shell clams,
mussels, crabs, and sea urchins. Commercial fish include cod, flounder, haddock and sea herring. Fish
farms breed Atlantic salmon.
- Genealogical Resources:
- Geographic Center: Maine Geography
- Highest Point: Mount Katahdin, 5,267 feet above sea level.
- Highway Markers: Maine
- Judiciary: State of Maine Judicial Branch
- Largest Cities: 10 Largest Cities
- Legislature: Maine State Legislature
- Library: Maine State Library
|Standard Maine Chickadee License Plate|
- License Plates: Maine
- Lottery: Maine State Lottery
- Lowest Point: Atlantic Ocean, Sea level.
- Maps: Maine Maps
- Marriage: Marriage Certificate Request
- Motor Vehicles: Bureau of Motor Vehicles
- Museums: Maine Museums
- National Forests:
- National Parks: National Parks in Maine
- Natural Resources: Maine's important natural resources are its vast forests and its fertile soils.
Granite and limestone deposits are abundant but not fully mined. One of the largest copper and zinc deposits are
found in Maine but they are hard to get at.
- Newspapers: Maine
- Nickname: for Maine
- Non-transients: Find A Grave
- Online Services: Online Services
- Origin of State's name: Maine
- Political Cartoons: PoliticalCartoons.com
- Road Side America: Maine
- Senior Citizens: Senior Citizen Resources
- Song: State of Maine Song
- State Parks: Maine State Parks
- State Quarter: Maine
- Symbols: Maine Symbols
- Tax Forms:
- Topography: State Topography Image: Maine
- Tree: White Pine (Pinus strobus)
- Unclaimed Funds: Unclaimed Property
- Veteran Affairs: Bureau of Veterans Services
- Vital Records: Maine Vital Records
- Voting: Voter Information
- Web Cams: Maine Webcams
- Zip Codes: